Use this vanilla wafer crust for your favorite pie filling. It's especially good for a no-bake pie like the pumpkin butter pie in the photo.
Use it for any pie in place of a graham cracker or other cookie crumb crust.
- 1 1/2 cups fine vanilla wafer crumbs, about 30 to 35 cookies
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 5 tablespoons butter, softened
Heat oven to 350 F.
Blend ingredients thoroughly.
Press into the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch pie plate.
Bake for 8 to 10 minutes.
Cool thoroughly before filling.
- Too hot to turn the oven on? You can skip the baking step for any cookie crumb crust. While baking firms it a bit more and adds some flavor, it isn't necessary. Just make sure the crust is thoroughly chilled before you add the filling.
- Use this recipe for pie or cheesecake.
- Add a few tablespoons of finely chopped pecans or walnuts to the cookie crumbs.
- Replace the vanilla wafer crumbs with gingersnap crumbs for a gingersnap crust.
- Replace the vanilla wafer crumbs with chocolate cookie crumbs, ground animal crackers, or shortbread cookie crumbs.
- Add about 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon or other spices to the crumbs.