Nothing says comfort food like a meatloaf the way Mom used to make it. And this recipe is an exciting spin on the beloved classic. This veal loaf recipe comes with sauce suggestions, and you should feel free to use beef or ground turkey instead of veal if you prefer.
- 12 ounces mushrooms, chopped (3 cups)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon leaf thyme, crumbled
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 large clove garlic, finely minced
- 2 pounds ground veal
- 1 1/2 cups fresh bread crumbs
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- Heat butter in a heavy skillet; add chopped mushrooms and the thyme. Add chopped onions and garlic; cook until mushrooms are browned and onions are tender.
- Transfer mixture to mixing bowl and let cool. Add veal and bread crumbs. Whisk together 1/2 cup of milk and eggs until well blended. Add to meat mixture. Add more milk if needed for moisture. Add salt and pepper and parsley; work together with hands to blend.
- Pack mixture into a 9x5x3-inch loaf pan and bake at 350F for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Serve meatloaf in slices with mushroom sauce or a bechamel sauce variation or a brown gravy.
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||18 g|
|Saturated Fat||7 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||7 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|