There are many, many different ways to prepare Aloo Matar, Indian spiced potatoes and peas. Some recipes use a coconut base, and others simmer the potatoes in a tomato sauce. This basic recipe uses a few simple spices for a flavorful and tangy Indian food dish that is both vegetarian and vegan. Serve with rice, if desired.
See also: More vegetarian Indian recipes
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 onions, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, minced or grated
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 potatoes, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups peas
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 1/2 tsp
- garam masala
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, sautee the onion, garlic, and ginger for 3 to 5 minutes, or until onions are soft.
- Add the bay leaf, potatoes and peas and stir to combine. Add the water. Cover and allow to cook at least ten minutes, or until potatoes are almost softened.
- Add the garam masala and paprika. Cover and cook another 8 to 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Stir in the cilantro and add salt and pepper to taste. Serve with rice if desired.
More Vegetarian and Vegan Indian Recipes:
Easy Eggplant Stir-Fry Recipe
Broccoli and Tofu in Garlic Sauce
Vegan Palak "Paneer" (Indian Spinach and Tofu)
Mixed Vegetables, Indian Style
Vegan Aloo Gobi (Potatoes and Cauliflower)
Crock Pot Vegetable Curry
Vegetarian Palak Paneer with Ricotta Cheese
Chana Masala (Spicy Chickpeas)with Spinach
Cauliflower Curry Recipe
Raw Curried Cabbage Recipe
Coconut Curried Vegetables
Tomato Marinara Curry Recipe
Turmeric Tea Recipe
More vegetarian Indian food recipes
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||8 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||5 g|
|Dietary Fiber||9 g|