Freshly caramelized apples, cinnamon, vanilla, and lemon come together to make these vegan cupcakes flavored with all things fall. Use a piping bag to pipe generous peaks of vegan buttercream on top, and add a dash of cinnamon and a few caramelized apples as garnishes to your seasonal sweets.
Note: This recipe is suitable for dairy-free, egg-free, and vegan diets, but as with any recipe intended for persons with allergies or dietary restrictions, make sure to read all nutritional labels carefully to make sure that there are no hidden dairy-derived ingredients or other allergens if these apply to you).
- 2 large apples (any firm variety like Granny Smith, Braeburn, etc.)
- 2 tablespoons soy margarine
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup almond milk (or coconut milk; see more dairy-free milk alternatives)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/3 cup canola oil (or nut-based oil like macadamia nut oil)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extractVegan buttercream frosting
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line a standard 12-cup muffin tin with cupcake liners, and set aside. Core and dice the apples--peels can be left on or off, your choice--and set aside.
- Heat the dairy-free soy margarine and brown sugar in a heavy skillet over medium heat, cooking and stirring constantly until the mixture just starts to bubble. Add the diced apple to the pan and stir well to coat the pieces. Stirring often, cook until the apples are golden and lightly caramelized, about 8 to 10 minutes. Remove the pan from heat and let the apples cool slightly while preparing the rest of the batter.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together the all-purpose flour, baking soda, baking powder, sea salt, and ground cinnamon until well combined. Set aside.
- In another small bowl, whisk together the almond milk or coconut milk, the lemon juice, canola oil, white sugar, and vanilla extract. Whisk just long enough to slightly dissolve the sugar.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry, mixing just to combined. Fold in the caramelized apple pieces, leaving a few pieces out to garnish your finished cupcakes with after baking.
- Using a portion scoop, portion the batter into the prepared cupcake liners, filling each 3/4 of the way full. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the tops of the cupcakes spring back slightly when touched. Allow cupcakes to cool in the pan for 15-20 minutes, then remove and allow them to cool completely on a wire cooling rack. Frost with Vegan Butter Cream Frosting or other dairy-free frosting of your choice.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||9 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||5 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|