Have fun with vegan pesto by going beyond just basil with this vegan artichoke pesto recipe with walnuts. Though a traditional pesto recipe always uses pine nuts, I personally enjoy trying different kinds of nuts in pesto, particularly vegan pestos, in order to vary the flavor. And walnuts are the perfect match to the artichokes, which add a unique Italian flavor to this easy vegan pesto recipe.
You could always make this recipe more traditional (but not vegan) by adding some Parmesan cheese and omitting the nutritional yeast.
- 1/4 cup walnuts or pine nuts
- 1/2 cup artichoke hearts, drained
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- Juice from 1/2 a lemon
- One bunch fresh basil
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth, adding more olive oil if needed. You can also add more olive oil for a creamier sauce-like consistency.
- Serve over pasta or with crackers for an appetizer.
More Vegan Pesto Recipes
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||13 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||7 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|