This is a great way to cook up some healthy vegan green beans for a quick and nutritious vegetable side dish. Inspired by the flavors of Asia with soy sauce, sherry or rice wine, and a bit of sugar and garlic, this is an easy vegan green bean recipe. I love cooking with fresh green beans, and I find that most of the time, I don't even really need to trim them, though of course, your preference may be a bit different. Often, grocery stores sell bagged green beans which are pre-washed and pre-trimmed while still being fresh (and not frozen).
Personally, I've never been a fan of canned green beans, but fresh cooked green beans are really quite delicious, and, at least according to my palette, freshly cooked green beans bear very little resemblance to those mushy and salty greyish beans that come out of a can!
One recipe tester and reviewer gave this simple Asian green bean side dish recipe five out of five stars and said, "I find these green beans to be crisp and very flavor(ful) and very easy to do and I feel like they are very healthy and good for my family."
Like fresh green beans? I know I do! Scroll down for a few more vegetarian and vegan side dish recipes for cooking fresh green beans.
If you like cooking with green beans, you might also want to try the most popular green bean recipe on The Spruce, this simple vegan green bean casserole recipe.
- 1 pound fresh green beans, trimmed
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp rice wine or dry sherry
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Heat the water in a wok or a large saucepan. Carefully add the fresh green beans and steam until tender but still a bit crisp, about 8 minutes. Drain all of the remaining water well, and set the green beans aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the vegetable broth, soy sauce, rice wine and the sugar, stirring to dissolve the sugar.
- Wipe the excess water from the wok or saucepan, add the oil and heat over medium-high heat.
- Add the garlic and allow to cook for just one minute. Add the green beans and the soy sauce mixture, and cook for two minutes, stirring often.
Enjoy your fresh homemade Asian-inspired green beans!
This green bean recipe is reprinted with permission from The Compassionate Cook Cookbook.
Like making simple home cooked vegetable side dishes such as this one? Here's a few more green bean recipes to try:
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||17 g|
|Saturated Fat||5 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||8 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|