A quick and easy vegetarian and vegan eggplant marinara recipe using soy milk and egg replacer. Eggplant is breaded, baked, and topped off with marinara sauce and fresh chopped basil.
- 1 eggplant
- 1/2 cup soy milk
- egg replacer for one egg
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt (plus extra)
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup flour
- 3/4 cup marinara sauce (or to taste)
- Optional: fresh chopped basil
- Gather the ingredients.
- Slice eggplant into 1/2-inch thick rounds, then sprinkle well with salt. Allow to sit for at least 20 minutes, then rinse and gently pat dry.
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Whisk together the soy milk and egg replacer in a small bowl or shallow pan. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine the bread crumbs, Italian seasoning, and salt and pepper.
- Place the flour in a third bowl or shallow pan.
- Lightly dredge the eggplant rounds in flour, and gently tap of any extra. Then coat well in the egg replacer and soy milk mixture. Next, coat well with breadcrumb mix.
- Place on a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Bake in oven for 25-30 minutes.
- Serve your baked eggplant topped with marinara sauce and chopped fresh basil, if desired.
- Makes four servings of breaded and baked eggplant marinara.
More eggplant recipes
More vegetarian recipes