|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 1g||1%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||0%|
|Total Carbohydrate 16g||6%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||8%|
|Total Sugars 1g|
|Vitamin C 5mg||24%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Did you think Eastern European recipes can't possibly be vegan? Think again. This recipe for vegan baked potato latkes is from Mark Reinfeld's "The 30 Minute Vegan's Taste of Europe."
Reinfeld says, "No holiday meal would be complete without latkes, or potato pancakes. Of Eastern European origin and traditionally made with eggs, we use ground flax seeds to hold it all together. There are many variations possible [see below, including making them gluten free by replacing the spelt flour with brown rice flour]. Serve with vegan sour cream or applesauce."
1 large russet potato, peeled, grated, and drained, to make 2 cups
1/4 teaspoon minced yellow onion
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon white spelt flour
1 tablespoon ground flax seeds, mixed with 3 tablespoons water
3/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon paprika, or smoked paprika, optional
1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes, optional
Steps to Make It
Heat oven to 400 F. Place all of the ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. You can speed this process up by using the grater attachment on a food processor for the potatoes.
Scoop approximately 1/4 cup of the mixture for each latke onto a very well-oiled baking sheet. Flatten to approximately 1/4-inch thick. Bake for 8 minutes.
Flip the pancakes and bake, until golden brown, approximately 8 minutes before serving.
- After peeling and grating your potato, squeeze out as much moisture as you can using paper towel. This will ensure crispier latkes.
- Make smaller latkes by using 2 tablespoons, instead of 1/4 cup, of the batter in each pancake.
- Replace 1 cup grated potato with grated sweet potato or yam.
- Add 1 tablespoon of minced fresh dill, parsley, or basil.
- Add 2 tablespoons finely chopped green onion.
- Add 1 clove pressed or minced garlic and 1/2 teaspoon seeded and diced chile pepper.
- Add 1/2 cup peeled and grated parsnip or carrot.
- Create Italian latkes by adding 1 tablespoon Italian spice mix.
- Go Mexican by adding 1 tablespoon minced cilantro and 1 teaspoon each of chili powder and cumin.
- Add 1/2 cup grated vegan cheese for an over-the-top latke experience.