Looking for a simple vegan breakfast burrito to make at home? Try this one. This completely egg-free, dairy-free and vegan breakfast burrito combines tofu with some sauteed onions, garlic, mushrooms and tomatoes and spicy tabasco sauce for a healthy meal to start the day. You've got plenty of protein from the tofu, and plenty of veggies to fill you up with fiber, so this easy vegan breakfast burrito recipe makes for a quick and nutritious vegetarian and vegan breakfast idea. Top it all of with some non-dairy vegan sour cream and vegan cheese, if you have some on hand, or, add in some salsa or guacamole if you'd like.
If you're not sure what a vegan is, you'll want to check out this simple vegan definition here, and if you're looking for more vegan recipes, you'll find plenty of vegan recipes here.
- 4 flour tortillas (lightly warmed)
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil (or another kind of cooking oil)
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 1/2 onion (diced)
- 1 pound firm or extra-firm tofu (drained, then chopped into 1-inch cubes)
- 1/2 cup mushrooms (sliced)
- 1 large tomato (diced)
- 1/8 tsp turmeric
- dash Tabasco sauce (or to taste)
- dash salt (or to taste)
- dash pepper (or to taste)
- Optional: non-dairy vegan sour cream
- Optional: vegan cheese, grated
- Warm flour tortillas over stove or in microwave until heated and soft.
- In a large skillet or frying pan, sautee the garlic and onion in the vegetable oil for a minute or two, then add the diced tofu, mushrooms and tomatoes and cook, stirring frequently, for about 4-6 minutes, or until the mushrooms are soft and cooked.
- Remove the pan from heat. Mix in the turmeric and a few dashes of Tabasco sauce, then season generously with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Place a couple spoonfuls of the tofu and vegetable mixture in each flour tortilla. Top with vegan sour cream and vegan cheese if desired, then wrap up your burritos and serve hot. You may find that you have enough tofu and veggies to make more than four burritos worth, depending on how full you make them.
- To wrap your burritos, place a layer of filling in a horizontal row just below the center of the tortilla, leaving about 2 inches on the ends. Then, fold those ends (the right and left sides) in, and then roll the burrito up away from you.