Vegan breakfast potatoes, fried in patties. You don't need eggs to make an easy vegan breakfast potato recipe. These potato patties are similar to a latke, but the potatoes are mashed instead of grated and held together with egg replacer instead of eggs. If you've got leftover potatoes, try using this recipe to use them up!
- 8 potatoes (boiled and mashed)
- 1 cup flouregg replacer for 1 1/2 eggs
- salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons oil (more or less as needed for frying)
- Mix the potatoes, flour, egg replacer and salt. Turn the mixture onto a floured bread board or counter top and knead into a dough, adding more flour if necessary until the dough is no longer sticky.
- Roll the dough out to a 3/4 inch thickness, then cut into rounds (a drinking glass works well for this).
- Lightly oil a frying pan or griddle and fry the rounds until browned on both sides, about 10 minutes. Serve with applesauce.
Reprinted with permission from The Compassionate Cook Cookbook.