Cashew cream is an indulgently rich cream used as a base in many dairy-free vegan substitutes. It's much richer and more flavorful than soy milk. Here's how to make a homemade vegan cashew cream. As long as you use raw cashews, this is also a raw foods recipe.
Cashew cream recipe courtesy of Gardein.
- 2 cups cashews (whole raw)
- Put 2 cups whole, raw cashews (not pieces which are often dry) and rinse very well under cold water.
- Put in a bowl and add cold water to cover them.
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate overnight.
- Drain the cashews and rinse under cold water.
- Place the cashews in a blender with enough fresh cold water to cover them by 1 inch.
- Blend on high for several minutes until very smooth. If you’re not using a professional high-speed blender such as a Vita-Mix, which creates an ultra-smooth cream, strain the cashew cream through a fine-mesh sieve.)
Makes about 3 1/2 cups regular cashew cream.
Here's what to do with your homemade raw cashew cream:
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|