This vegetarian and vegan recipe for cauliflower soup with potatoes is very low in fat and is a low-calorie vegetarian recipe. Unlike many other potato soup recipes, this one uses vegetable broth, vegan margarine and bay leaves to add flavor instead of butter. That means that this low-fat vegetarian soup recipe has just two grams of fat per serving. Because of that, you'll want to be sure to use a good-quality vegetable broth for the most flavor. If you're not using a fresh, homemade vegetable broth, you can use powdered broth or vegetarian bouillon cubes for a little extra to boost the flavor.
This cauliflower and potato soup recipe is vegetarian, vegan, and as long as you use a gluten-free vegetable broth (read the label, as some are and some aren't gluten-free), it's gluten-free as well.
- 1 tbsp. olive oil (or vegan margarine)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 onion (diced)
- 1 potato (diced)
- 1 large head cauliflower (chopped)
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 dash nutmeg
- Optional: grated
- vegan cheese for topping
- Optional: green onions for topping, chopped
- In a large soup or stock pot over medium heat, sautee the onion and garlic in the vegan margarine or olive oil for 3 to 5 minutes, or until the onions and garlic are almost soft.
- Add the diced potato and chopped cauliflower and cook for a few more minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the vegetable broth and bay leaves and bring to a simmer.
- Once the mixture is simmering, reduced the heat to medium low, cover the pot, and allow to cook for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Carefully remove the bay leaves, then transfer the soup to a blender and puree until smooth and creamy, or leave a bit of texture if you'd like.
- Season lightly with a bit of salt, pepper and a dash of nutmeg and re-heat if needed.
- Top with grated vegan cheese and green onions, if desired, just before serving.
Makes four servings.
Without the vegan cheese, this recipe provides approximately:
Calories: 100, Calories from Fat: 19
Total Fat: 2.1g, 3%, Saturated Fat: 1.7g, 8%
Cholesterol: 0mg, 0%
Sodium: 607mg, 25%
Total Carbohydrates: 14.7g, 13%
Dietary Fiber: 3.1g, 12%
Vitamin A 1%, Vitamin C 69%, Calcium 4%, Iron 6%, Based on a 2000 calorie diet
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||3 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||1 g|
|Dietary Fiber||7 g|