For a vegetarian and vegan pot pie main dish, try this easy homemade vegetarian pot pie recipe filled with vegan gardein "chicken" scallopini, onions, carrots and green peas, and baked into a ramekin with thyme, sage and other savory seasonings all covered with a light and flaky puff pastry. You'll find that this vegetarian pot pie with vegan chicken is just as hearty and filling as any other pot pie, yet much lower in fat and also completely cholesterol-free.
- 1 package Gardein vegetarian chicken scallopini (cut into 1/4 inch cubes)
- 3/4 cup flour
- 3/4 cup vegan margarine (Tal recommends Earth Balance)
- 6 cups vegan chicken stock
- 2 to 4 tablespoons canola oil (divided)
- 1 cup yellow onion (diced)
- 1 cup carrots (peeled and diced)
- 3/4 teaspoon thyme (minced)
- 3/4 teaspoon sage (minced)
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 tablespoon tamari soy sauce
- 1 cup green peas
- 1 puff pastry sheet (rolled out to by 12x10 inches)
Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
Brown the cut gardein scallopini in a sautee pan with 1 tablespoon of the canola oil. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from the pan and set aside.
To make a roux, melt the vegan margarine in a saute pan, add flour and whisk constantly until light brown in color. Cool and set aside.
In a large soup or stock pot, heat the vegan chicken stock until gently simmering. Keep this simmering and hot for the next step.
In a 5.5 quart stock pot, cook onions in canola oil for 3 minutes and add carrots, sage, thyme, salt and pepper. Continue to cook for 5 minutes. Add the already simmering vegetable stock and simmer for 5 minutes. Whisk in nutritional yeast flakes.
Next, add the prepared margarine and flour roux a bit at a time and continue to cook as the sauce begins to thicken. Stir in the gardein scallopini, tamari and peas. Pour mixture into a large shallow pan to cool.
Once mixture is cool, pour into individual ramekins, glass pie pan or small casserole dish. Cover mixture with puff pastry (be sure to leave a small excess of pastry for folding and fluting of the edge) and seal edges. Cut small slits.
Bake for 35 min or until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.