Cupcakes are a staple at many birthday and holiday celebrations where there's usually a frosted moist treat waiting for guests. This vegan chocolate cupcake is one of the easiest vegan sweets to make, and it's always a crowd-pleaser with non-vegans, kids, and adults alike. Feel free to frost these with the dairy-free frosting of your choice. You won't have to tell people they're vegan if you think it may elicit too many questions. These are just that good.
Storing Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes
Unfrosted vegan cupcakes that are dairy-free and contain no animal products can keep in the pantry or on the counter at room temperature for up to two days. If refrigerated, they can keep for up to 7 days but should be individually wrapped then placed in an air-tight container for storage. To keep them even longer, these vegan cupcakes can be kept frozen for anywhere from 4-6 months, again if individually wrapped before being placed in an air-tight plastic container.
To thaw frozen vegan chocolate cupcakes you will need a drying rack, also called a cooling rack, to keep the bottom dry and ensure they reach room temperature evenly. It will take anywhere from 30 minutes up to 3 hours to thaw. If you don't have a cooling rack you can use a plate, a completely un-warmed cookie sheet, a chopping board or even a room-temperature pizza stone.
Makes 12 standard-sized cupcakes.
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup flour (all-purpose)
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with cupcake liners and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the coconut milk, sugar, canola oil, vinegar, and vanilla. In another bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt until combined. Add the dry ingredients to the wet, mixing until just combined. Pour the batter into the prepared cups, filling each about 2/3 full.
- Bake for 17 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake emerges clean. Let cool completely on a wire cooling rack before frosting with dairy-free frosting of choice.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||12 g|
|Saturated Fat||5 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||5 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|