Fruit cake always gets a bad reputation. It may seem hard to imagine, but I look forward to eating this vegan fruitcake every Christmas! This Christmas holiday season, instead of buying a store-bought fruitcake, why not make your own to share with friends and neighbors this holiday season? All you need to make your own homemade vegan fruitcake is some candied fruit (usually sold in the snack aisle near the nuts and dried fruits, or, check the baking aisle at your grocery store), and the usual cake ingredients, including flour, sugar, baking soda, a little allspice for holiday flavor, and egg replacer and vegan margarine to keep it vegan. This recipe is simple and easy to prepare.
- 2 teaspoons egg replacer
- 4 tablespoons water
- 1/4 cup vegan margarine
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 6 ounces candied fruit mix
- 1 1/4 cup water (or orange juice)
- 1 3/5 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease and flour a loaf pan. You can also use an 8-inch diameter cake pan if you prefer.
- Next, using a fork, whip the Egg Replacer in 4 tablespoons of water until fluffy.
- Place the vegan margarine, sugar, candied fruit, whipped Egg Replacer and 1 1/4 cup water (or orange juice) in a saucepan. Bring the mixture to a boil, then allow to cool for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and allspice. Then, mix in the boiled mixture until combined well, and transfer the batter to a greased loaf tin or a greased 8-inch diameter cake tin.
- Bake your vegan fruitcake in the preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes.
- Let your fruitcake cool completely inside the tin or baking pan. Fruitcake is usually served room temperature or chilled. You might want to drizzle just a little vegan icing on top if you like super sweet desserts.
Enjoy your homemade vegan fruitcake for the holidays! Looking for more vegetarian and vegan Christmas and holiday help? Check out this complete collection of vegan Christmas cookies here, vegan cake recipes. and vegetarian and vegan Christmas holiday foods.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||4 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||2 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|