- 4 cups all-purpose flour (plus extra for kneading the dough. For best results, sift or spoon the flour into the measuring cup)
- 1.5 cup shredded coconut (sweetened)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup virgin coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups almond milk (or
- soymilk or other
- milk substitute)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the dry ingredients (flour, coconut, sugar, baking powder and salt).
- Use your hands or a spoon to mix in the virgin coconut oil.
- Add the vanilla extract and then slowly mix in the almond milk or other milk substitute, working the dough as little as possible, until you have a dough that just barely sticks together.
- Turn the dough out on a heavily floured cutting board.
- Knead the dough slightly. When it is done, it should be easy to handle and smooth.
- Gently pat the dough to two 1.5–inch thick discs.
- Cut each disc into 6 pieces.
- Transfer the scones to a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- (Optional) For lighter, fluffier scones, place the baking sheet into the freezer for about five minutes immediately before baking.
- Bake the scones in a preheated 400-degree oven for 15-20 minutes or until lightly golden. (Optional: Turn pan halfway through baking.)
- Cool on the baking sheet.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||15 g|
|Saturated Fat||11 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||2 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|