This is an easy recipe that the kids are sure to love. Serve with a dipping sauce, such as ketchup, barbecue sauce or ranch dressing. This easy tofu recipe is both vegetarian and vegan.
- 1 package tofu (firm or extra firm, well pressed)
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup corn meal
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- A bit of oil
- First, prepare your tofu. Like most vegan tofu recipes, this one will taste best if you press the tofu first. This allows the tofu to absorb more of the flavorings and seasonings which you add to it, in this case, all the yummy spicy chili powder and cayenne pepper! Note: Not sure how to do press tofu? It's simple, and it just takes a few minutes. See this easy step-by-step guide: How to press tofu.
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees F and lightly brush a baking pan with olive oil.
- Slice the tofu into rectangular strips, about 1/2 inch thick.
- Combine the nutritional yeast, flour, corn meal, and spices until well-mixed.
- Place tofu in the cornmeal mixture a few pieces at a time and coat well. Place on baking sheet.
- Bake for 5 to 7 minutes or until lightly golden brown, then flip the tofu over and bake for another 5 minutes.
Note: This cornmeal breaded tofu can also be lightly fried in oil for a few minutes on each side until lightly golden brown.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||7 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||2 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|