|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Servings: 4 to 6|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 4g||5%|
|Saturated Fat 1g||3%|
|Total Carbohydrate 26g||10%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||9%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Before pancakes were made with wheat flour, they were made with corn meal. Indigenous peoples used the overabundance of corn for a great number of dishes in early America and pancakes, also called johnnycakes, were one of those dishes. This vegan cornmeal pancake recipe is easy to make with familiar ingredients. This dairy-free pancake is made using soy milk instead of traditional milk and olive oil instead of butter. Serve these as you would regular pancakes, with a drizzle of maple syrup and a sprinkling of sugar and cinnamon if you'd like.
1. In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the soy milk, lemon juice, and olive oil, set aside. In another mixing bowl, sift together the remaining ingredients. Add the wet ingredients to the dry, mixing until just combined.
2. Heat a lightly-oiled skillet or non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add the batter to the pan 1/4 cup at a time, cooking until the edges and surface are bubbly and the underside is golden brown. Using a spatula, flip the pancake and cook for about 1 minute more until both sides are golden brown. Repeat with remaining batter and serve hot with syrup, sugar, or fruit.
- To avoid an overly dense pancake, do not overmix the batter. Gently fold the ingredients together until just mixed.
- If you try to make the recipe without flour, using only cornmeal, the result will be a much rougher texture more likened to cornbread, than pancakes. Using all-purpose flour is essential to making sure the pancake has the consistency and fluffiness of traditional pancakes.
- Flavored syrups seem to go well with cornmeal pancakes as well, so combining maple syrup with your favorite syrup-friendly fruit over medium heat may work. Blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries are perfect for this purpose. If you'd rather cook your flavor right into these vegan cornmeal pancakes, add two teaspoons of lemon zest and two tablespoons of lemon juice to this recipe for an extra citrusy taste. Given the more savory flavor of the cornmeal, the extra sweetness of honey can also work drizzled on top.
- Blueberry variation: Add 3/4 cup of fresh blueberries and 2 teaspoons of lemon zest.
- Savory variation: Fry 4 to 6 bacon strips, chopped them up, and fold them into the prepared batter. Top the pancakes with an over-easy egg.
Raw Egg Warning
Consuming raw and lightly-cooked eggs poses a risk of food-borne illness.