This vegan couscous salad (or couscous pilaf) is a healthy meal in one dish. Thanks to a few shortcuts, it also takes just minutes to prepare, making it ideal for busy weeknights.
The recipe includes fresh vegetables, including corn, tomatoes, and green pepper. For flavor, use your favorite salsa and canned beans are used for a simple and tasty protein. This colorful, nutritious dish really is a complete lunch or dinner on its own.
You'll also be happy to know that the recipe is low-fat and has very few calories. Not only that, all the ingredients are affordable. What more could you ask for?
- 1 (10-ounce) package couscous
- 1/2 tablespoon vegetable oil (or olive oil)
- 1 (12-ounce) can red kidney beans (or black beans, chickpeas; rinsed and drained)
- 3/4 cup tomatoes (fresh, chopped)
- 3/4 cup salsa (store-bought or homemade)
- 1/3 cup corn kernels (fresh, canned, or frozen and thawed)
- 1/4 cup green bell pepper (chopped)
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- Prepare couscous according to package directions using 1/2 tablespoon vegetable oil. Allow it to cool.
- Transfer couscous to mixing bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Chill for 1 to 2 hours.
If you need this recipe to be gluten-free, you can swap out the couscous for quinoa. This works out well, especially if you happen to have a bunch of leftover quinoa on hand.
You will quickly find that there are many ways to make a vegan couscous salad.
While this recipe has a nice, spicy kick because of the salsa, you might want to try something a little different for another meal. Use these recipes as inspiration to create your own delicious salads.
- Couscous Salad With Chickpeas - This recipe has a longer ingredient list, but it's all pretty common. You'll need cucumber, green onions, Dijon mustard, and lemon zest, along with a can of chickpeas (or garbanzo beans, if you prefer).
- Easy Vegetarian Couscous Salad - Another simple recipe, this one requires many of the same ingredients, though it tosses tomatoes, garlic, and coriander into the salad.
- Vegan Israeli Salad With Pearl Couscous - A fresh salad featuring the tiny version of couscous known as Israeli or pearl couscous, this one is very simple to make as well. It's a bit more rice-like and mixes perfectly with fresh veggies.
- Vegan Couscous Stuffed Bell Peppers - Ready for a really fun idea? Take that couscous salad and stuff it inside whole bell peppers. Green, red, or yellow...choose whichever peppers you like and enjoy this colorful and healthy dish.