|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 2g||2%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||1%|
|Total Carbohydrate 29g||11%|
|Dietary Fiber 5g||19%|
|Total Sugars 3g|
|Vitamin C 9mg||44%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This vegan couscous salad (or couscous pilaf) is a healthy meal in one dish. Thanks to a few shortcuts, it also takes just minutes to prepare, making it ideal for busy weeknights.
The recipe includes fresh vegetables, including corn, tomatoes, and green pepper. For flavor, use your favorite salsa and canned beans are used for a simple and tasty protein. This colorful, nutritious dish really is a complete lunch or dinner on its own.
You'll also be happy to know that the recipe is low-fat and has very few calories. Not only that, all the ingredients are affordable.
1 (10-ounce) package couscous
1/2 tablespoon vegetable oil, or olive oil
1 (12-ounce) can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
3/4 cup chopped fresh tomatoes
3/4 cup store-bought or homemade salsa
1/3 cup corn kernels (fresh, canned, or frozen and thawed)
1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
1/2 teaspoon cumin
Gather the ingredients.
Prepare couscous according to package directions using 1/2 tablespoon vegetable or olive oil. Allow it to cool.
Transfer couscous to mixing bowl.
Add remaining ingredients and mix well.
Chill for 1 to 2 hours before serving.
- Instead of kidney beans, use black beans or chickpeas.
- If you need this recipe to be gluten-free, you can swap out the couscous for quinoa. This works out well, especially if you happen to have a bunch of leftover quinoa on hand.
- While this recipe has a nice, spicy kick because of the salsa, you might want to try something a little different for another meal. Try making a couscous salad with chickpeas. You'll need cucumber, green onions, Dijon mustard, and lemon zest, along with a can of chickpeas (or garbanzo beans, if you prefer).
- You can make a couscous salad with tomatoes, garlic, and coriander.
- A vegan Israeli salad with pearl couscous is a fresh salad featuring the tiny version of couscous known as Israeli or pearl couscous. It's simple to make as well. It's a bit more rice-like and mixes perfectly with fresh veggies.
- Ready for a really fun idea? Take that couscous salad and stuff it inside whole bell peppers. Green, red, or yellow...choose whichever peppers you like and enjoy this colorful and healthy dish.