This vegan quiche is particularly wonderful in the summertime when asparagus is in season and grilling always sounds like a good idea. Feel free to use this recipe all throughout the year, though, and substitute whatever fresh veggies you have on hand!
- For the Grilled Asparagus:
- 1/2 pound fresh asparagus
- Olive oil (for brushing)
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- For the Quiche:
- 8 ounces block-style dairy-free cheese of your choice (crumbled)
- 2 12.3-ounce packages firm silken tofu (drained)
- 1/2 cup plain soy milk or almond milk
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 3 tablespoons finely ground cashews
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons dairy-free cream cheese (such as Tofutti)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
Grill the asparagus. Heat the grill to high heat. Brush the asparagus spears with olive oil. Lightly salt and pepper, and grill for about 5 minutes, or until just lightly browned and still crisp. Remove from the grill, cut into pieces and set aside.
Preheat the oven to 350 F. Lightly oil a 9" pie plate and set aside.
Prepare the quiche. Sprinkle about 1/2 of the crumbled dairy-free cheese in the bottom of the pie plate. Spread the asparagus on top of the crumbled dairy-free cheese. Set aside. In a blender, process the tofu, soy milk, nutritional yeast, ground cashews, cornstarch, dairy-free cream cheese, salt, freshly ground pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and turmeric until smooth. Stir in the remaining crumble dairy-free cheese using a wooden spoon. Pour the mixture into the prepared pie plate.
Bake for 35 to 40 minutes until golden brown, or until a toothpick inserted into the center emerges clean. Serve warm or cold.