|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
Vegan Baigan Ka Bharta is a mashed and Indian spiced eggplant dish, to be eaten with rice or Indian breads. I find that even people who think they don't like eggplant really like this flavorful Indian dish, so don't hesitate to give it a try. This vegetarian Indian recipe is also vegan. Baigan ka bharta, also sometimes spelled "baingan ka bjarta" is an Indian Punjabi favorite.
- 2 tablespoon olive oil or vegetable oil. divided
- 2 eggplants, sliced in half
- 1/3 teaspoon mustard seed
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 green chilies, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated or minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon mango powder (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala (a mixture of curry, cumin, and coriander can make a reasonable substitute)
- Dash salt, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
Drizzle the eggplants with one tablespoon olive oil and bake at 400 F for 20 minutes, or until soft. Cool and remove peels. Mash or blend until smooth.
In the remaining one tablespoon of olive oil, heat the mustard seeds, bay leaves, chilies, ginger and onions for a few minutes.
Add the eggplant and remaining ingredients and stir well to combine. Allow to cook for at least 6 to 8 more minutes.
Serve hot with rice or Indian bread.