Vegan Baigan Ka Bharta is a mashed and Indian spiced eggplant dish, to be eaten with rice or Indian breads. I find that even people who think they don't like eggplant really like this flavorful Indian dish, so don't hesitate to give it a try. This vegetarian Indian recipe is also vegan. Baigan ka bharta, also sometimes spelled "baingan ka bjarta" is an Indian Punjabi favorite.
See also: More vegetarian Indian food recipes
- 2 tablespoon olive oil or vegetable oil. divided
- 2 eggplants, sliced in half
- 1/3 teaspoon mustard seed
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 green chilies, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated or minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon mango powder (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala (a mixture of curry, cumin, and coriander can make a reasonable substitute)
- dash salt, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- Drizzle the eggplants with one tablespoon olive oil and bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes, or until soft. Cool and remove peels. Mash or blend until smooth.
- In the remaining one tablespoon of olive oil, heat the mustard seeds, bay leaves, chilies, ginger and onions for a few minutes.
- Add the eggplant and remaining ingredients and stir well to combine. Allow to cook for at least 6 to 8 more minutes.
- Serve hot with rice or Indian bread.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||10 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||7 g|
|Dietary Fiber||15 g|