Gazpacho is a chilled Spanish soup that is refreshing on a hot summer day and doesn't take much to prepare. This recipe calls for cucumber, tomatoes, bell pepper, and celery pureed together with some balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, garlic and fresh herbs, including fresh parsley and fresh basil.
This basic vegan recipe for cold gazpacho soup can be dressed up with some croutons or hot sauce, depending on your taste. Gazpacho and other cold soups are an excellent starter for a dinner, and also work well served with bread for a light and healthy lunch. Don't be fooled by the long ingredients list, as this gazpacho cold soup is a breeze to prepare.
If you like gazpacho or cold soups in general, try a watermelon gazpacho recipe for the perfect cooling summer treat. And, if you just want to browse through some more cold soup ideas, check out our collection of vegetarian and vegan chilled summer soups, for the perfect light and soothing summer soups, including mango ginger soup, avocado and cream soup, melon cucumber soup and more.
- 1 cucumber (sliced into chunks)
- 4 large ripe tomatoes (coarsely chopped)
- 1/2 bell pepper (any color)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 celery rib (chopped)
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1/2 sweet onion (quartered)
- 3 tbsp. red wine vinegar (or balsamic vinegar)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Dash black pepper
- 1 tsp. fresh parsley (chopped)
- 1 tsp. fresh basil (chopped)
- Optional: 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- To make your vegan gazpacho, place the cucumber chunks, chopped tomatoes, bell pepper, garlic, celery, lemon juice and onion in a blender or food processor, working in batches if needed.
- Add the red wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper and process or blend together until smooth or nearly smooth (whatever texture you prefer is fine).
- Next, transfer to a serving bowl and stir in the fresh chopped parsley and basil.
- Cover your serving bowl with foil or plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes, or until you're ready to serve your gazpacho. You can garnish with extra fresh herbs for presentation, if you'd like, or, top off individual servings with some crusty croutons or perhaps some avocado slices.
- Serve alongside a fresh green salad and some artisanal or homemade bread and balsamic vinegar and olive oil for dipping for a light but complete meal.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||1 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||0 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|