Looking for a way to make a vegetarian or even a vegan German potato salad? Here's how. German potato salad is actually easier than traditional American potato salads to make vegan because it doesn't need any mayonnaise. One of the essential ingredients of German potato salad is bacon, but that's easy enough to swap out with a few strips of crisped up bacon substitute.
This vegetarian and vegan German potato salad recipe with vegetarian mock bacon can be served hot or cold. Vegetarian potato salad always makes a great vegetarian side dish for a picnic, vegetarian barbecue or for an everyday vegan dinner. This German potato salad recipe is both vegetarian and vegan since its made with a bit of a mustard-based roux instead of mayonnaise.
All of the ingredients except for the vegan bacon and the flour are gluten-free, so if you need this recipe to be gluten-free or even if you just don't like mock meat products, you could easily omit the vegetarian bacon and still have a tangy German hot potato salad. Be sure to sub in a gluten-free flour if needed.
- 4 large potatoes
- 1 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 to 5 slices vegetarian bacon
- 1 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoons flour
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar (you can substitute cider vinegar if needed)
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard
- 5 scallions (sliced)
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- In a large pot, boil the potatoes until they are just barely tender. Many people will tell you to heavily salt the water for the best taste when making potato salad.
- Once your potatoes are lightly tender, remove them from the cooking water and allow them to cool. When the potatoes are cool, chop into pieces approximately one inch in size.
- In a large skillet, cook the vegetarian bacon substitute in oil until nice and crispy on both sides. Once cooked, gently crumble the vegan bacon into pieces and set the bacon aside.
- Next, place the sugar, flour, water, vinegar, and mustard to the oil in the skillet and whisk together over low heat until thick.
- Add the chopped potatoes, the cooked and crumbled vegetarian bacon, and the chopped scallions to the pan and stir to coat the potatoes well.
- Add a dash of salt and pepper to taste, and serve up your vegan German potato salad either hot or cold as desired.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||8 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||5 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|