|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: About 4 servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 11g||14%|
|Saturated Fat 2g||8%|
|Total Carbohydrate 29g||11%|
|Dietary Fiber 5g||19%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Colorful and fragrant, this vegetarian and vegan carrot and ginger soup is a light and soothing soup. Carrot soup with ginger is a nutritious and low fat soup recipe with just a touch of sweetness and a touch of spice and definitely worth the effort! This recipe is just about foolproof. Many people try it out and just rave about how amazing it is. The combination of the spices and the sweetness is really just incredible, and, with just a touch of oil for cooking the onions, it's quite low in fat and incredibly healthy.
Want to reduce the fat to make this recipe nearly fat-free? Omit the cooking oil by heating the onion, ginger and carrots in a non-stick pan in just a touch of cooking spray. With all the other delicious ingredients, you won't miss out too much flavor at all, but you can always add in a half a bouillon cube if you'd like a little extra boost.
- 3 tbsp olive oil (or other cooking oil)
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1/4 cup fresh ginger, minced
- 4 cups chopped and peeled carrots (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cups orange juice
- dash nutmeg
- salt and pepper to taste
First, in a large pot, sautee the onions and ginger in the olive oil until soft, about 3-5 minutes.
Next, add in the carrots and vegetable broth and reduce the heat to medium. Allow the carrots to simmer for about 40 minutes, or until they are soft.
Add in the orange juice and stir well.
Working in small batches and using either a food processor, immersion blender or a regular blender, carefully process the soup until smooth.
Return the pureed mixture to the pot to gently reheat. Or, if not needed, transfer your soup to a serving bowl and add a touch of nutmeg, salt and pepper, stirring well.
Serve your vegan carrot and ginger soup with a dollop of soy or coconut non-dairy yogurt or vegan sour cream if desired, a sprinkle of nutmeg for garnish, and enjoy!
More vegetarian and vegan soup recipes you'll want to try:
- 4 ways to make a simple Japanese miso soup at home
- Best vegetarian bean soup recipes - high in protein and low in fat
- Most popular vegetarian soup recipes of all time
- 7 easy soups to make in your crockpot
- 7 vegetarian tomato soups from simple to gourmet
- Cold soups for hot summers
- Easy Pumpkin Soup Recipe
- Curried Split Pea and Potato Soup
- Vegetarian Japanese Restaurant-Style Miso Soup
- Cool Cucumber Soup for Summer
- Easy Vegan Gazpacho Recipe
- Super Simple Pumpkin and Coconut Soup
- Vegetarian Bean and Barley Soup
- Vegetarian Low-Fat Lentil Soup Recipe