Use prepared seitan and store-bought barbecue sauce to make one of the easiest (and tastiest!) grilled vegetarian and vegan recipes ever: grilled seitan in barbecue sauce. And yes: it's as delicious as it looks. Here's how to impress your friends with a super easy vegetarian and vegan grilled seitan in barbecue sauce.
Need more vegetarian or vegan grilling ideas? See this complete list of vegetarian barbecue recipes to try, including more vegetarian and vegan grilled seitan ideas.
- 8 ounces seitan (prepared; sliced thin, or chopped into 1-inch chunks)
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce (see note)
- First, be sure to soak your bamboo skewers in water to prevent burning. Not sure how to do that? Here's how.
- Place seitan in a zip-lock sealable bag or in a shallow pan and coat well with barbecue sauce. Allow to marinate for at least one hour; longer is better.
- Pre-heat grill to medium high. Place seitan chunks on pre-soaked bamboo skewers and baste well with extra sauce. (Depending on your grill, seitan can also be placed directly on well-greased grates.) Grill for 8-10 minutes or until lightly charred, basting occasionally with extra barbecue sauce.
- Eat your barbecued seitan right off the stick, or, slice leftovers thinly and make sandwiches. Enjoy!
Note: For this recipe, the flavor comes mostly from the barbecue sauce, so it's highly recommended that you use a good quality sauce. Choose a barbecue sauce without cheap added fillers (such as high-fructose corn syrup), or experiment with various gourmet and ethnic barbecue sauces.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||6 g|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||3 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g|