I love the combination of nutty hemp seeds with earthy flax oil - what a powerful combination! This simple hemp food recipe combines hemp seeds with fresh basil for a healthy vegan pesto.
Like using hemp seeds in the kitchen? Here's more healthy hemp seed recipes to try.
- 1 large bunch of fresh basil (about 2 1/2 cups, lightly packed)
- 1 cup fresh spinach (or parsley)
- 1/4 cup shelled hemp seeds
- 1/4 cup walnuts (or pine nuts)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp lemon (or lime juice)
- 1/4 cup flax oil
- 2 tbsp olive oil (or hemp oil)
- sea salt and fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
In a blender or food processor, process the basil and the spinach or parsley together until coarsely chopped, then add the hemp seeds, walnuts, garlic and lemon juice and quickly pulse to combine well.
With motor running, slowly add the flax oil and olive oil or hemp oil until well combined.
You can add more or less liquid to get your desired consistency. I tend to like a thicker and chunkier pesto, but most people seem to prefer it thinner and finer.
Taste your pesto, and season generously with sea salt and a bit of black pepper, if you like.
If you're lucky enough to have an Asian grocer nearby, see look for purple Thai basil to use in this recipe and treat yourself to an incredibly flavorful superfood taste explosion. You can thank me later.