|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 26g||34%|
|Saturated Fat 13g||66%|
|Total Carbohydrate 12g||4%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||4%|
|Total Sugars 2g|
|Vitamin C 1mg||4%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This vegan cashew yogurt is so easy to make and is so worth the wait! It’s only 3 ingredients and there’s no straining, squeezing, or weird thickeners. Most nut-based yogurts contain locust bean gum or carrageean to thicken the yogurt but, the cashews are the only thickener you need!
Instant Pot Vegan Yogurt
The nuts get so tender from soaking in the water that you don’t even have to strain out the pieces. You just need a high-powered blender to process the soaked nuts with the coconut milk. Add in a little yogurt starter or plant based yogurt and let it sit in a warm place for 8 hours and you’ve got delicious, vegan yogurt. You can add in vanilla extract, honey, or your favorite fruit jams. The coconut milk adds a little sweetness on its own so it’s actually delicious without any extra sugar!
Whether you’re dairy-free, vegan, or just looking to change up your breakfast routine, you’ll love this yogurt. And you’ll love that you made it from scratch!
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 2 to 3 cups water for soaking
- 1 cup canned coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon plant-based yogurt with live cultures (or 1 tablespoon yogurt culture starter)
Gather your ingredients.
Put the cashews in a medium sized bowl. Cover with water completely. Soak the cashews at room temperature for at least 6 hours or up to overnight. The longer you soak the smoother your yogurt will be.
Drain and rinse the cashews and add them to a blender. Add in the coconut milk and blend until completely smooth.
Place the cashew mixture into a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 2 minutes. Stir and then cool to between 90 F and 110 F.
Stir in the yogurt or culture starter. You can also stir in any flavorings such as honey, ginger, chocolate or berries if you are adding them at this time.
Add 3 cups of water to the instant pot. Heat on sauté for 1 to 2 minutes or until the water is warm but not boiling. (If you have a "yogurt" setting on your Instant Pot you can simply skip this step and just set the jars into the pot, cover, and set the yogurt setting for 8 hours or overnight.)
Add the yogurt to jars and cover with lids. Place in the water bath and put the lid on the instant pot, keeping it turned off. Cover the instant pot with its lid and then wrap the lid with a few clean towels for insulation. Let sit for at least 6 hours or up to 24. Remove jars and place them in the refrigerator for further the thickening.
- To make a larger batch, simply double the ingredients of this recipe.
- Create your own flavors with minced candied ginger, pureed berries, melted vegan chocolate, maple, or vanilla. Simply stir these into the blended warm liquid when you add the culture.
- Add 2 tablespoons chia seeds before fermenting to thicken and add fiber and make a more pudding-like dish.
- Place containers in a slow cooker or a small drinks cooler filled with warm water instead of an instant pot to insulate while your yogurt ferments.