Vegan lasagna with a cashew white sauce instead of a tomato-based sauce - yes, that's right, there are absolutely no tomatoes in this white vegan lasagna recipe!
There's plenty of ways to make a homemade vegan lasagna, and this definitely isn't the quickest. However, if you're cooking for a special meal, taking the time to prepare a homemade white sauce with a cashew base makes this dish incredibly indulgent. Cashew butter is very expensive when store-bought, though it's quite simple to make your own at home. Almond butter is much more affordable and is a reasonable substitute, but in my opinion, the taste of cashew butter is heavenly enough to justify the extra cost!
Reprinted with permission from the Everything Vegan Cookbook.
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (10 ounce) box frozen spinach, thawed and pressed to remove moisture
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 block firm tofu, crumbled
- 3/4 cup cashew butter or almond butter
- 2 cups soy milk
- 1 tablespoon miso
- 1 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 (12 ounce) package lasagna noodles
- Sauté the onion and garlic in olive oil until soft, about 4–5 minutes.
- Add spinach and salt, stirring to combine well and cooking just until spinach is heated through.
- Add crumbled tofu and mix well. Allow to cool completely.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, combine the cashew or almond butter, soy milk, miso, soy sauce, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, and onion powder until smooth and creamy.
- Prepare the lasagna noodles according to package instructions, if needed, and preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a lightly greased lasagna pan, place a thin layer of the white cashew sauce and then a layer of noodles. Next, add spinach and more cashew white sauce, then a layer of noodles, continuing until all ingredients are used up. The top layer should be spinach and then sauce.
- Bake for 40 minutes, or until done. Allow to cool for at least 10 minutes before serving, to allow lasagna to set.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||36 g|
|Saturated Fat||16 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||13 g|
|Dietary Fiber||5 g|