Need an egg-free latke recipe? This simple and easy homemade vegan latke recipe uses an egg replacer to make traditional potato pancakes, or latkes, with onion, flour, and very little else, making it a simple and easy basic recipe which you can personalize and add to if you'd like. Or, if you like a more flavorful vegan latke, try adding in some fresh herbs, such as parsley, thyme or a bit of fresh sage. Some people also like to add some carrots to their latkes for a bit of color if nothing else. Latkes are great for breakfast, brunch, and especially for a vegetarian brinner!
Did you know....all latkes are a subset of potato pancakes, but not all potato pancakes are latkes? There are lots of different kinds of potato pancakes! For example, you can experiment using up leftover mashed potatoes by making these leftover mashed potato pancakes, which are definitely very different from latkes!
Looking for more perfect vegan latke recipes or healthy Hanukkah help? Here are more vegetarian and vegan Hanukkah recipes and resources, including plenty of kugels, cauliflower latkes, and, of course, a mighty fine recipe for a vegan matzo ball soup!
- 3 pounds potatoes (rinsed and scrubbed)
- 1 onion (finely minced)
- Egg substitute for 2 eggs (use
- Ener-G Egg Replacer) (prepared according to package instructions)
- 1 tsp. salt (use sea salt or kosher salt)
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 3 tbsp. flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 3-4 tbsp. oil for frying
- First, prepare the potatoes by rinsing and scrubbing them clean. Then, peel and then grate the well-cleaned potatoes into a large bowl, or, if you have a food processor, it will work well for this task; just peel the potatoes and process the potatoes until finely grated or using the grating blade, depending on what kind of food processor you have.
- Place the grated potatoes in a large bowl.
- Next, add into the bowl the minced onion (you can also use your food processor for this task), the prepared egg replacer, salt, black pepper, flour and baking powder, and stir to combine well.
- Heat a few tablespoons of oil in a large frying pan, and, once heated, drop a bit of the potato mixture onto the pan in small amounts (about 2-3 tablespoons), gently flattening to form pancakes.
- Cook your vegan latkes for about 3-4 minutes on one side, until golden brown, then flip and cook for another 3-4 minutes on the other side until done, and adding more oil as needed.
- Serve your homemade vegan latkes with applesauce and enjoy!
- When making homemade latkes, you need to be sure that the potatoes get cooked all the way through. If the potatoes are getting dark brown and crispy but aren't cooked all the way through, try turning down the heat just a little bit.
- For a truly gourmet vegan latke, try cooking your latkes in a truffle-infused oil. It is absolute heaven!