These festive cookies can be made any time of year using different shapes: trees, hearts, stars, leaves and people shapes all work. Make sure you have one large and one smaller cutter of the same shape, to make a “window” for the jam to show through.
- Gather the ingredients.
- In a medium mixing bowl combine flours, nuts, cinnamon, baking powder and salt.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add oil, agave, and vanilla. Quickly stir the wet into the dry, taking care not to over-mix.
- Shape dough into a one inch thick disc. Lightly dust a sheet of parchment paper with flour. Place the disc on the parchment, cover with a second sheet, and roll out the dough, 1/4 inch thick or less.
- Cut out shapes with the large cookie cutter. Place ½ of the cookies on one greased or lined baking sheet.
- Using the smaller cutter, cut "windows" out of the other cookies, and place them on a second baking tray.
- Bake 7 – 10 minutes, or until golden around the edges. The solid cookies will bake about 2 minutes longer than the ‘window’ cookies. Do not over-bake.
- When cool, spread a teaspoon or 2 of jam on each solid cookie. Top with the cut out cookie.