Vegan lobster roll, yes you heard us right! You can make a delicious “lobster” roll that tastes similar to the real thing. The secret: hearts of palm replace the lobster mea. Stuff the filling in a hot, grilled hoagie roll and you’ve got a summer time favorite without any use of animal products.
The recipe is also very simple. It doesn’t require a lot of ingredients and since there is almost no cooking involved besides toasting the rolls you can get them on the table in no time and without heating up the kitchen. Serve them alongside your favorite potato chips, or other picnic sides like potato salad or pasta salad.
- 1 (15-ounce) can whole hearts of palm
- 1 celery stalk (diced)
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1 scallion (sliced)
- 1 tablespoon parsley (finely minced)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
- 3 tablespoons vegan butter
- 2 hoagie rolls
- For serving: lettuce, lemon wedges
Gather the ingredients.
Cut the whole hearts of palm on an angle to create “lobster-like” pieces.
Whisk together the celery, lemon juice, vegan mayo, scallions, parsley, salt, pepper, and Old Bay seasoning. Add the cut hearts of palm and toss it in the mayonnaise mixture until they are completely coated. Add more salt and pepper as needed.
Split open the rolls and press them down to open them as wide as you can. Add the butter to a skillet or grill pan and heat on medium-high heat. Press the rolls into the pan over the melted butter and toast until golden brown.
Stuff each roll with half of the “lobster” mixture and lettuce if you wish. Top with more chopped scallion and parsley and serve with lemon wedges. Enjoy!
- For a hot, buttered lobster roll simply sauté the hearts of palm in three tablespoons of vegan butter. Add just the scallions and parsley (leave out all the other ingredients) at the last second and serve inside the warm grilled rolls. Add a lemon wedge or two on the side.
- You can switch up the seasonings in the mayonnaise mixture however you like. Try adding some smoked paprika, fresh chopped dill, or fresh chopped chives in place o the scallions.
- You can use hot dog rolls in place of hoagie rolls if you can't find them.
- Pre-sliced hearts of palm also work for this recipe. They will still taste the same as the whole hearts of palm and will have a similar texture. It just won’t resemble the lobster chunks of a traditional lobster roll.