This vegetarian and vegan Mexican rice recipe is a simple take on a traditional Mexican food dish that is very easy to prepare and needs no special ingredients. First, the rice is lightly toasted with garlic, onions and lots of other spices, then slowly simmered with tomatoes, absorbing all of their liquid to become deliciously flavorful. You can use either canned or fresh chopped tomatoes in this recipe.
Normally, Mexican rice is cooked in chicken stock or chicken broth, but there's no reason you can't use vegetable broth instead. This easy Mexican rice recipe uses vegetable broth, making it both vegetarian and vegan and completely meat-free. Need it to be completely gluten-free as well? Check the ingredients list if you're buying vegetable broth at the store, as some brands are and some brands aren't safe for those with gluten sensitivities. Or, you can also just use water or a or homemade vegetable broth to keep this rice recipe completely gluten-free. Here's one way to make a gluten-free gluten-free vegetable broth at home.
Mexican rice is a great start to a vegetarian Mexican food meal and is also a simple and easy gluten-free vegan dinner idea. If you're looking for more simple vegetarian and vegan recipes, you can find more vegetarian recipes here.
- 1 onion, diced small
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp. ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp. fresh ground black pepper
- 2 cups white rice
- 3 cups diced or pureed tomatoes (do not drain)
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 cups water or vegetable broth
- First, in a large skillet or frying pan over medium heat, saute the diced onions and the minced garlic in the olive oil for about 3 to 5 minutes, or just until the onions are starting to turn soft.
- Add in the ground ginger, coriander, cloves and fresh ground black pepper and stir to combine well.
- Next, add the rice and stir for just a minute, in order to coat the rice evenly and well with the spices.
- Next, add in the tomatoes, salt, and water or vegetable broth and stir to combine. Bring to a low simmer, then cover the pan and allow to simmer over low heat for about 30 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed and the rice is completely done cooking.
- Use your homemade vegetarian Mexican rice to fill up a vegetarian burrito, serve it alongside some homemade refried beans, top it off with some fresh cilantro or just enjoy it as it is for a simple side dish to just about any meal.
Like making homemade Mexican food meals? Here are a few more meat-free vegetarian and vegan Mexican food recipes to try: Vegetarian Mexican food recipes
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||10 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||7 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|