|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 4-5 servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 6g||7%|
|Saturated Fat 1g||5%|
|Total Carbohydrate 53g||19%|
|Dietary Fiber 12g||44%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This Moroccan vegetable stew recipe comes from vegetarian and vegan chef Aurelie Pare, author of The Healthaliciously Good Cookbook.
Aurelie offers a few extra tips to make this fabulous vegetarian and vegan Moroccan soup:
- Moroccan seasoning can vary in spiciness, so you may want to leave out the jalapeno to avoid making the soup too spicy.
- Pinto beans, white beans, kidney beans, black beans, and green lentils could be used instead of chickpeas if desired.
- Try to find a low-sodium vegetable broth or make homemade vegetable broth to keep the sodium content in this soup low. You may also want to choose a low-sodium variety of canned tomatoes or to use the same amount of fresh tomatoes in place of the canned tomatoes.
"This tasty, hearty vegan soup is great for weeknight meals. Moroccan seasoning usually contains ginger, cinnamon, cumin, and cilantro. It is an especially nice seasoning to use during the frosty winter months."
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup carrots, chopped
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 28-ounce can chopped tomatoes
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 2 teaspoons Moroccan seasoning
- 3 tablespoons raisins
- 1 tablespoon apple juice concentrate
- Salt and pepper to taste
In a soup pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Sautee the onion, peppers, celery, carrots, and mushrooms for about 10 minutes or until tender.
Stir in the vegetable broth, tomatoes, and chickpeas and bring the soup to a boil over high heat.
Once boiling, reduce the heat to medium, cover partially, and let simmer until cooked (about 15-20 minutes).
Stir in seasonings, raisins, and juice. Serve!