This super savory French-inspired vegan mushroom fondue has a gentle cheesy flavor from the nutritional yeast, and is the perfect hors d'oeuvre for parties, as an appetizer or starter for a gourmet meal or for a romantic and intimate vegan fondue date for two. Pair it with a nice bottle of wine for a romantic evening. As for which wine, you can't really go wrong. A light velvety red wine such as a nice Pinot Noir or a bold and sharp white wine will complement the flavors quite well, while a perky rose or even a sparkling wine will provide a palette-cleansing and pleasing contrast to this mushroom fondue recipe.
Made with a powerfully savory combination of flavors, including mushrooms, fresh garlic, miso, celery salt and flavor-boosting nutritional yeast, this vegan mushroom fondue recipe is a rich, flavorful and creamy delight perfect for Valentine's Day or any special occasion. Serve your mushroom fondue with such dippers as French bread (lightly toasted or untoasted), bagels, or fresh vegetables.
Looking for more dairy-free and vegan ideas to fill up your crockpot or fondue pot with beyond this savory mushroom fondue? Try a classic vegan "cheese" fondue recipe made with vegan cheese, soy milk, nutritional yeast and tahini, or, for a vegan dessert fondue recipe, check out this decadent vegan chocolate fondue made with a touch of coffee-flavored liqueur. Yum!
- 3 tbsp. vegan margarine + an additional 2 tbsp.
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 onion, minced
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups soy milk
- 1/2 tsp. miso
- 1 vegetarian bouillon cube or 1 tbsp. dry veggie broth mix
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp. celery salt
- 1 tbsp. soy sauce
- Optional: 3 tbsp. nutritional yeast
- First, in a skillet or saucepan, sautee the minced garlic, the minced onions and the sliced mushrooms in the three tablespoons of vegan margarine until soft, and then set aside.
- In separate medium sized saucepan, combine the miso, soy milk and vegetarian bouillon cube over medium to low heat. Stir these ingredients together until the bouillon cube has fully dissolved and ingredients are well combined.
- Next, add in the onion powder, flour, celery salt, soy sauce and the nutritional yeast, and bring to a slow slimmer, stirring to combine well. If your mixture does not thicken, add more flour, mix well and turn up the heat a bit. Allow to cool.
- Next, add the sauteed mushrooms, garlic and onion mix to the soy milk mix and process in a blender or food processor until smooth or until the desired texture is reached.
- Reheat the blended mix, stirring occasionally, and allow to cool slightly before transferring to a fondue pot for serving.
Some vegetarian fondue dipper suggestions: whole mushrooms, broccoli, bread, cooked and halved baby potatoes, tofu, Tofurkey sausage slices.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||5 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||2 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|