Key limes are known for their super tart and bitter taste. When used to make a Key lime pie, the pucker from the lime juice is met with a creamy texture and the crunch of the graham cracker crust. This version of the Key lime pie is dairy-free and egg-free as well. It is so much healthier than traditional Key lime pie, which uses sweetened condensed milk, yet just as satisfying. The use of silk tofu ensures the familiar texture of the pie is maintained, despite being dairy-free and no-bake.
- 1 Dairy-Free Graham Cracker Crust Recipe (or dairy-free store-bought variety)
- 2 12.3-ounce boxes silk tofu (extra firm, drained)
- 1/4 cup key lime juice (fresh)
- 1 tablespoon lime zest (optional)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Prepare the dairy-free graham cracker crust, baking the crust in a 9" pie plate. Allow the crust to cool completely.
- In a blender, combine the tofu, lime juice, zest (if using), sugar, salt, and cornstarch.
- Process for several minutes, or until smooth and thick.
- Pour into the prepared pie crust and place in the freezer for at least 2 hours, or until firm.
- Serve from the freezer, garnishing with lime wedges if desired.
Ingredient Substitutions and Cooking Tips
If you want to add something extra to this vegan pie recipe, consider adding a vegan meringue. Surprisingly, the brine from a can of chickpeas, also called aquafaba, along with vanilla extract, sugar, and cream of tartar, are all you need to make it. Top your pie with this and not only will no one think it's vegan, but the presentation just looks a little more classy when the meringue is added.
Another unique way to serve your Key lime pie is in individual servings. It's very important that no bake pies are not cut too early or the filling will spill out. To avoid this faux pas, make individual servings that don't need to be cut. Small phyllo cups will turn this vegan Key lime pie into bite-size mini-tarts for appetizers. These can also be served on a platter at dinner parties. Another way to serve them individually is in parfait cups. Instead of needing a graham cracker crust, you would crumble graham crackers in between the Key lime pie filling and top with a slice of fresh lime. Cupcake tins could also help you create individual servings of Key lime pie. Simply blend the graham cracker crust, add to the bottom of the cupcake tin and add the Key lime pie filling.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||8 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||2 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|