|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 38g||48%|
|Saturated Fat 14g||69%|
|Total Carbohydrate 130g||47%|
|Dietary Fiber 5g||18%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
The first thing a new vegan comes to realize is Dairy Queen and McDonald's are no longer a go-to for dessert. But this recipe will give you the pleasure of a familiar dessert without dairy. It might surprise you, but Nabisco's Oreos are actually dairy-free and vegan, so these delicious vegan Oreo ice cream flurries are actually very simple to make. All that you need is a pint of quality dairy-free vanilla ice cream and a box of Oreos and you're set! If you're new to dairy-free ice cream, here's a list of favorite dairy-free ice cream brands.
- 12 Oreo cookies
- 1 pint dairy-free vanilla ice cream (softened slightly)
- Optional: 2 teaspoons vanilla soy milk
Gather the ingredients.
Using your hands, crumble 10 of the cookies. (Tip: Do NOT over-crumble as the cookies will break more when you combine them with the ice cream.) Set the other 2 cookies aside.
Place the broken cookies, the dairy-free vanilla ice cream, and the soy milk (if using) in a medium-sized mixing bowl. Using a wooden spoon, mix the ingredients together. The key is to neither over-mix nor under-mix; ideally, the flurries will have a "dirty" chocolate cookie color but will still have large pieces of cookie throughout.
Portion the flurry mixture into 2 serving glasses and stick one whole cookie into each of the flurries as a garnish.
Place in the freezer to chill for 15 to 20 minutes before serving.
- If you don't use Oreos, there are other chocolate cookie sandwiches available that are vegan. Trader Joe's has a knockoff called Joe Joe's. Newman O's uses organic flour and sugar in their dairy-free recipe and Whole Foods Market sells their 365 brand version called Chocolate Sandwich Cremes. Even Famous Amos gets in on the Oreo act.
- Mixing the crushed cookies into the ice cream will be much easier when the ice cream is softened a bit. You can do this in either the refrigerator or on the counter. Take the container out of the freezer and place in the fridge for 20 minutes or so, or leave on the counter for about 10 minutes.
- The serving possibilities for this vegan dessert are endless. Dress up the flurry in a parfait cup by adding strawberries, blueberries, and blackberries between layers of the ice cream mixture.
- Making mini ice cream sandwiches is perfect for small hands. Take apart whole Oreo cookies and scoop a spoonful of the softened flurry ice cream in between.