The first thing a new vegan comes to realize is Dairy Queen and McDonald's are no longer a go-to for dessert. But this recipe will give you the pleasure of a familiar dessert without dairy. It might surprise you, but Nabisco's Oreos are actually dairy-free and vegan, so these delicious vegan Oreo ice cream flurries are actually very simple to make. All that you need is a pint of quality dairy-free vanilla ice cream and a box of Oreos and you're set! If you're new to dairy-free ice cream, here's a list of favorite dairy-free ice cream brands.
Ingredient Substitutions and Serving Tips
The serving possibilities for this vegan dessert are endless. Dress up the cookie crumbles and ice cream in a parfait cup adding strawberries, blueberries, and blackberries between the ice cream mixture. You could skip the berries and serve two scoops of ice cream in footed bowls for an elegant look, topped with the cookie crumbles with a cherry on top.
Another dessert option for small hands -- make mini ice cream sandwiches. Simply use whole cookies and scoop a spoonful of softened vegan ice cream in between and finish with an Oreo. To make it stick you could add a little nut butter between the cookies and ice cream.
If you don't use Oreos, there are other chocolate cookie sandwiches available that are vegan. Trader Joe's has a knockoff called Joe Joe's. Newman O's uses organic flour and sugar in their dairy-free recipe. Whole Foods Market sales their 365 brand version called Chocolate Sandwich Cremes. Even Famous Amos gets in on the Oreo act.
Staple Vegan Dessert Recipes:
- 12 Oreo cookies
- 1 pint dairy-free vanilla ice cream, softened slightly
- Optional: 2 teaspoons vanilla soy milk
- Using your hands, crumble 10 of the cookies. (Tip: Do NOT over-crumble as the cookies will break more when you combine them with the ice cream.) Set the other 2 cookies aside.
- Place the broken cookies, the dairy-free vanilla ice cream, and the soy milk (if using) in a medium-sized mixing bowl. Using a wooden spoon, mix the ingredients together. The key is to neither over-mix nor under-mix; ideally, the flurries will have a "dirty" chocolate cookie color but will still have large pieces of cookie throughout.
- Portion the flurry mixture into 2 serving glasses and stick one whole cookie into each of the flurries as a garnish. Place in the freezer to chill for 15-20 minutes before serving.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||38 g|
|Saturated Fat||14 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||16 g|
|Dietary Fiber||5 g|