Use tofu to make a cholesterol-free lower-fat ricotta cheese substitute that is 100% vegan and dairy-free! If you need a ricotta cheese substitute for a vegan lasagna or ravioli, try this simple yet convincing ricotta cheese substitute. It's made with fresh garlic and shallots for plenty of savory flavor, with a bit of nutritional yeast and lemon for a cheese-like taste.
Like all vegan recipes, this ricotta cheese substitute is dairy-free, egg-free and cholesterol-free, and it is also gluten-free.
Scroll down for a few ideas for using up your vegan ricotta cheese substitute, or, if you're not convinced that this tofu-based recipe is the perfect one to try, click over here to find out how you can get vegan ricotta cheese at the grocery store.
Vegan ricotta cheese recipe courtesy of Chef Scot J. Jones.
Need some ideas for what to do with your vegan ricotta cheese substitute? Use your tofu ricotta to make Chef Scot's Hot Italian peppers stuffed with herbed risotto
- 8 ounces tofu (firm)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic (minced)
- 1/2 teaspoon shallot (minced)
- 1/2 teaspoon vinegar (plum, preferably Umi brand)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon nutritional yeast flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- Press the tofu through a potato ricer into a large bowl. If you don’t have a potato ricer, mash the tofu with your hands until crumbly.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix well. It should be the consistency of ricotta cheese.
- Makes about 1 1/2 cups tofu ricotta "cheese".
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|