Homemade vegetarian chili with both tempeh and beans means this chili recipe packs a powerful protein boost and has a satisfying texture. Since the tempeh simmers so long in this recipe, there's no need to pre-simmer it, as with most tempeh recipes.
Note that because this recipe calls for soy sauce it is not gluten-free. Further, some types of tempeh are made from grains which include gluten, while other varieties are gluten-free. Swap out the soy sauce and make sure your tempeh is gluten-free if you're preparing this chili for anyone with a wheat or gluten sensitivity.
- 2 tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 1 8-ounce package
- tempeh, diced
- 2 tsp. soy sauce
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 4-ounce can sliced green chilis
- 1 15 -ounce can kidney beans or chili beans
- 1 8 -ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 tbsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. cumin powder
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper, or to taste
- Optional: 1 small can corn
- Optional: fresh cilantro to garnish
- Using one tablespoon of olive oil, saute the tempeh until it is lightly golden brown, about 3 to 5 minutes, then add in the add soy sauce, and saute for another minute or two, until the soy sauce is sticky and dissolved. Set aside.
- In a large soup or stock pot, saute the onions, garlic and bell peppers in the remaining olive oil until just barely soft.
- Reduce heat and add remaining ingredients, except cilantro and including the tempeh.
- Allow to simmer for at least twenty minutes and up to forty minutes, stirring occasionally, and adding a bit more liquid as needed.
- Garnish with a sprinkling of fresh minced cilantro.
Makes 6 servings tempeh chili.
Nutritional information, per serving:
Total Fat: 10.0g, 15% daily value (based on a 2000 calorie diet) Saturated Fat: 1.7g, 8% Cholesterol: 0mg, 0%
Sodium: 200mg, 8%
Total Carbohydrates: 56.9g, 19%
Dietary Fiber: 13.8g, 55%
Vitamin A 40%, Vitamin C 103%, Calcium 13%, Iron 36%
Nutrition Grade: A
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||11 g|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||5 g|
|Dietary Fiber||17 g|