A healthy high-protein vegan pasta recipe, perfect for vegetarians, with 17 grams of protein per serving from all those beans, plus plenty of nutrients and fiber. This pasta recipe combines three kinds of beans with spinach in a healthy vegan white sauce. An incredibly nutritious vegetarian and vegan pasta dish.
More Vegetarian and Vegan Italian Recipes:
Vegan Tofu Manicotti
Angel Hair Pasta Primavera
Low Fat Vegan Eggplant Lasagna Recipe
Easy Garlic Pasta Recipe
Vegan Tofu Lasagna Recipe
Vegan Pesto Recipe
Pumpkin and Sage Pasta Sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 15 ounce can chopped tomatoes, or 2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
- 1/2 cup cooked red kidney beans
- 1/2 cup cooked navy beans
- 1/2 cup cooked chickpeas
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup small pasta tubes
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups soy milk
- 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped raw spinach
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Lightly cook the onion, garlic, and pepper until the vegetables are soft, about 8 minutes.
- Add the oregano, tomatoes, beans, and chickpeas. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover the saucepan and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Prepare the pasta according to package directions. Drain and add to the cooked bean mixture and place this mixture in a shallow serving dish.
- To make the sauce, heat the margarine in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the flour and gradually add the soy milk. Bring to a simmer, stirring constantly, and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, then season with the nutmeg and salt and pepper.
- Steam the spinach in 2 tablespoons of water for 5 minutes. Drain thoroughly and add to the sauce. Stir until well blended.
- Pour sauce over the bean mixture and serve immediately.
Nutritional information, per serving:
Calories: 371; Calories from Fat: 85
% Recommended Daily Value:
Total Fat: 9.5g, 15%; Saturated Fat: 1.4g, 7%; Trans Fat: 0.0g
Cholesterol: 0mg, 0%
Sodium: 104mg, 4%
Total Carbohydrates: 56.9g, 19%
Dietary Fiber: 12.6g, 51%
Vitamin A 42%, Vitamin C 68%, Calcium 11%, Iron 28%
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||9 g|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||4 g|
|Dietary Fiber||13 g|