When grilling skewered vegetables and tofu, it doesn't get much simpler than this vegetarian and vegan recipe. All you really need in order to get some vegetarian food on the barbecue is a simple marinade (in this case, store-bought Italian dressing), some pressed tofu and veggies -- try baby corn, mushrooms, onions, summer squash, cherry tomatoes and really anything you like!
Some store-bought Italian dressings contain cheese, so peek at the label if you want to make this vegan-friendly.
- 1 package firm or extra-firm tofu (well pressed and chopped into 1-inch cubes)
- For the Veggies:
- 1 zucchini (chopped 1-inch thick)
- 8 mushrooms (chopped in half)
- 1 green bell pepper (chopped into chunks)
- 3/4 cup Italian salad dressing
- 1 sweet or purple onion (coarsely chopped)
- dash salt (or to taste)
- dash pepper (or to taste)
- First, prepare your tofu. Like most tofu recipes, it will taste best if you press the tofu first. Not sure how to do that properly? See this easy step-by-step guide on how to press tofu.
- Slice your tofu into 1-inch cubes.
- Combine tofu and veggies in a shallow pan or sealable plastic bag. Cover with salad dressing and allow to marinate for at least one hour; overnight is better.
- Arrange tofu and veggies on pre-soaked skewers and season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Place on heated grill for 5-6 minutes, turning once, until veggies are cooked and tofu is lightly browned.
- Note: If you're new to grilling tofu, check out this quick tip page on how to grill tofu as it's a bit different than grilling meat.
Love this vegetarian and vegan tofu recipe? Here are some more incredible things you can do with tofu: