This dairy-free, egg-free banana cream pie recipe is so easy to prepare, not to mention tasty, creamy, and oh, so good.
NOTE: This recipe is also very easily gluten-free as well. Simply substitute the graham cracker crumbs for gluten-free graham cracker crumbs, and--poof!--your pie is gluten-free, too.
- For the Graham Cracker Crust:
- 1 1/3 cups finely ground graham cracker crumbs (or gluten-free graham cracker crumbs)
- 1/3 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 5 tablespoons brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons melted dairy-free soy margarine
- 1-2 ripe bananas, sliced
- For the Creamy Banana Filling:
- 3/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 1/4 cup corn starch
- 1 tablespoon virgin coconut oil
- 2 packages 12.3-ounce extra firm silken tofu, drained
- 2 large bananas, mashed
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For the Cream Topping:
- 1 Recipe Vegan Coconut Whipped Cream (or 1 can of dairy-free soy or rice whipped cream, such as Soyatoo)
- Garnish: flaked coconut, shaved dairy-free dark chocolate, and fresh banana slices for topping
To Prepare Crust:
Preheat the oven to 350 F. Lightly grease a 9-inch pie plate and set aside.
In a small mixing bowl, combine the graham cracker crumbs, coconut flakes, and sugar until well mixed.
Add in the melted dairy-free soy margarine and rub in until the mixture begins to clump together. Press into the prepared pie plate and place in the oven for 8-10 minutes, or until lightly browned.
Transfer to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
Layer one layer of fresh banana slices in the bottom of the crust before filling.
To Prepare Filling:
In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, combine the maple syrup, coconut milk, and corn starch, mixing well to combine. Stirring often, cook for 2-4 minutes, or until the liquid is just slightly reduced and thickened. Stir in the coconut oil and remove from heat.
In a blender, process the tofu, bananas, sea salt, and vanilla extract until creamy. (You will have to scrape down the sides a few times between processing.)
Add the slightly cooled maple syrup-coconut mixture and blend until smooth and creamy.
Pour into the cooled pie crust over the banana slices.
Place in the refrigerator to cool and set completely for about 3-6 hours.
Note: When you're ready to serve, top the pie generously with either Vegan Coconut Whipped Cream or 1 can of dairy-free soy or rice whipped cream, such as Soyatoo, followed by coconut flakes, shaved dairy-free dark chocolate, and more banana slices if desired. Serve immediately.
*This recipe is suitable for dairy-free, egg-free, vegan, and possibly (if you follow the note above)gluten-free and wheat-free diets, but as with any recipe intended for persons with allergies or dietary restrictions, make sure to read all nutritional labels carefully to make sure that there are no hidden dairy-derived ingredients (or gluten or wheat ingredients, if you're gluten-free).