A tofu scramble with spinach is very nutritious and is the perfect breakfast protein boost for vegans who want an egg-like dish to start their day. The tofu is crumbled and then sauteed to resemble scrambled eggs—when combined with tomatoes, garlic, mushrooms, and spinach, you may not even realize you're not eating eggs.
You can serve the scramble along with toast, biscuits, or other breakfast items, or make it into a breakfast wrap to take along or eat on the go.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tomatoes (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 3/4 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 bunch (10 ounces) spinach (rinsed)
- 1 pound firm or extra-firm tofu (well pressed and crumbled)
- 1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet and saute the tomatoes, garlic, and mushrooms over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and add the spinach, crumbled tofu, soy sauce, and lemon juice. Cover and cook for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper before serving.
Tips and Variations
This recipe makes two servings, so it is a perfect breakfast for a couple.
You can simply cut the portions in half to make a single serving, but since this scramble warms up well, you may want to make the whole recipe and save a portion for the next day.
To give the scramble a bit more flavor, you can add a little extra soy sauce. Or, omit it the soy sauce altogether if that's not a taste you're going for. You can also use Bragg's Liquid Aminos or tamari soy sauce to make it gluten-free. And, of course, you can swap out the vegetables for those that you favor—this recipe would be delicious with blanched asparagus, zucchini, bell peppers, or other greens such as kale or chard.
More Vegan Tofu Scramble Recipes
Tofu is an easy substitute for eggs when converting a recipe to vegan. There are many creative ways to enjoy tofu for breakfast or as an easy dinner dish, including spicy tofu scramble—turn up the heat at breakfast with this scramble filled with mushrooms, peppers, onions, and tomatoes, along with a bit of hot sauce. Curried tofu scramble with spinach offers something a little different, using Indian spices for a unique twist on the spinach tofu scramble.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||29 g|
|Saturated Fat||4 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||13 g|
|Dietary Fiber||10 g|