|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 2 servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 29g||37%|
|Saturated Fat 4g||21%|
|Total Carbohydrate 43g||16%|
|Dietary Fiber 10g||35%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
A tofu scramble with spinach is very nutritious and is the perfect breakfast protein boost for vegans who want an egg-like dish to start their day. The tofu is crumbled and then sauteed to resemble scrambled eggs—when combined with tomatoes, garlic, mushrooms, and spinach, you may not even realize you're not eating eggs.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tomatoes (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 3/4 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 bunch (10 ounces) spinach (rinsed)
- 1 pound firm or extra-firm tofu (well pressed and crumbled)
- 1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
Heat the olive oil in a skillet and saute the tomatoes, garlic, and mushrooms over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes.
Reduce the heat to medium-low and add the spinach, crumbled tofu, soy sauce, and lemon juice. Cover and cook for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Sprinkle with salt and pepper before serving.
- Since this scramble warms up well, make the whole recipe and save a portion for the next day.
- You can serve the scramble along with toast, biscuits, or other breakfast items, or make it into a breakfast wrap to take along or eat on the go.
- To give the scramble a bit more flavor, add a little extra soy sauce.
- You can use Bragg's Liquid Aminos or tamari soy sauce to make it gluten-free.
- Swap out the vegetables for blanched asparagus, zucchini, bell peppers, or other greens such as kale or chard.
More Vegan Tofu Scramble Recipes
Tofu is an easy substitute for eggs when converting a recipe to vegan. There are many creative ways to enjoy tofu for breakfast or as an easy dinner dish, including spicy tofu scramble—turn up the heat at breakfast with this scramble filled with mushrooms, peppers, onions, and tomatoes, along with a bit of hot sauce. Curried tofu scramble with spinach offers something a little different, using Indian spices for a unique twist on the spinach tofu scramble.