Try this vegetarian version of the classic British and Indian dish - vegan tofu tikka masala! Since chicken tikka masala is so incredibly popular in the UK, vegetarian and vegan version using tofu should be just as popular. It really is quite good! Give it a try and see if you don't just agree that the result is absolutely splendid!
As with most Indian recipes, there's quite a few spices that go into the perfect recipe. However, if you don't have one or two of them on hand, you can still make a delicious dish, so don't be intimidated by all those spices!
Like making vegetarian versions of traditional Indian dishes? Try out some more easy vegetarian Indian food recipes.
- 1 package firm or extra firm tofu, well pressed
- For the Tofu Marinade:
- 1/2 an 8-ounce container soy yogurt (vanilla, plain or lemon flavor is best); reserve the rest for the tikka sauce
- 1 tbsp. oil
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric
- 1/2 tsp. garam masala
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- For the Vegan Tikka Sauce:
- 1 tbsp. olive oil or another neutral oil (safflower, canola or peanut oil)
- 1 14-ounce can crushed tomatoes (do not drain)
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 an 8-ounce container soy yogurt
- Optional: fresh chopped cilantro for garnish
- First, make sure your tofu is well-pressed. For an even more flavorful dish, you can also freeze the tofu, thaw it, and then gently press it again. Not sure how to do that? Here is how to press tofu
- Next, prepare the marinade. Whisk together 1/2 a container of soy yogurt with the oil, lemon juice, turmeric, garam masala, chili powder and salt.
- Arrange the tofu in a wide shallow pan in a single layer, and cover the tofu with the marinade. You can also place the marinade and the tofu in a plastic zip-lock bag and very gently shake it to make sure the tofu is covered with marinade well on all sides. Allow the tofu to marinate for at least one hour in the refrigerator.
- Bake tofu at 350 F for about 30 minutes, turning once or twice. Pan frying will also work if you're short on time, but it is highly recommended to try baking these little tofu cubes for maximum flavor. Now, these tofu cubes will come out of the oven absolutely delicious, and you could just eat them all up then and there, perhaps with some rice or oven roasted vegetables. But try to resist and finish up making the rest of this recipe.
- To prepare the sauce, heat a tablespoon of oil in a large skillet or sautee pan. Add tomatoes, cumin, paprika, the rest of the soy yogurt, and, if you have any extra marinade from the tofu, you can also add that to the sauce mixture. Heat until the sauce is well combined and slightly thickened, about 8 minutes.
- Add tofu, stirring just until heated through and tofu is well coated in tikka masala sauce. Serve immediately with steamed white rice or basmati rice.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||14 g|
|Saturated Fat||4 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||5 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|