|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 8 servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 64g||82%|
|Saturated Fat 5g||24%|
|Total Carbohydrate 13g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||10%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This vegan "meat" loaf is a meatless version that you can enjoy on a vegan diet. It is high in protein as it is made with tofu, textured vegetable protein (TVP), and vital wheat gluten. Flavored with poultry seasoning, this vegetarian loaf is perfect for the centerpiece of your vegetarian Thanksgiving feast. But you can also enjoy it as comfort food any night. Serve it with vegetarian gravy and mashed potatoes for a classic American meal.
Three protein sources are included. Tofu and TVP are made from soybeans, with the difference being that TVP is dehydrated and has a chewy texture while tofu is soft. TVP must be rehydrated before using, as is done in this recipe. Vital wheat gluten is made by rinsing the starch out of whole wheat, leaving behind the protein. If you substitute whole wheat flour you will reduce the protein content of this loaf.
This recipe uses frozen spinach for convenience, but you can substitute fresh spinach if you have it available. As well, you can substitute boiling vegetable broth for the bouillon cube and boiling water.
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen spinach (thawed)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion (finely chopped)
- 1 vegetarian bouillon cube
- 1 3/4 cups water (boiling)
- 2 cups textured vegetable protein (TVP)
- 1 pound silken tofu
- 1 cup vital wheat gluten flour (or 3/4 cup whole wheat flour)
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
Gather the ingredients.
Steam the spinach and drain it well.
Heat the vegetable oil in a medium frying pan over medium heat. Cook the onion, stirring occasionally, until transparent, about 5 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 350 F.
Pat the tofu dry, then mash it.
In a large bowl, combine the TVP, spinach, and tofu.
Stir in the remaining ingredients and pour the mixture into a lightly greased 8 1/2x4 1/2-inch loaf pan.
Smooth the top and bake for 45 minutes, or until it is brown on top. If the loaf begins to get too brown on top before 45 minutes, cover it with aluminum foil.
Let the loaf rest for 10 minutes after you remove it from the oven before serving.
Serve with vegetarian gravy.
- Adjust the seasonings and spices you add to this loaf to suit your tastes. You may have a favorite loaf you want to emulate. Add some vegan barbecue sauce, vegan Worcestershire sauce, crushed red pepper, or liquid smoke as you may prefer.