Use dried kidney beans or black beans to make this homemade vegetarian chili with TVP or TSP. The generous amount of TVP (textured vegetable protein) in this recipe gives this veggie chili a chewy and "meaty" texture.
If you like this meaty vegetarian chili with TVP, you might also want to see these other homemade vegetarian chili recipes.
- 2 cups uncooked beans (kidney or black beans)
- 8 cups water
- 1 cup hot vegetable broth
- 1 cup uncooked TVP (textured vegetable protein) or TSP (textured soy protein)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 onions, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 green or red chili pepper, minced
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp coriander
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 28 ounce can diced or crushed tomatoes
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large soup or stock pot, soak beans in water for at least 6 hours or overnight. Retain soaking water.
- Bring beans and water to a slow simmer. Allow to cook for at least one hour.
- In a small bowl, combine TVP (textured vegetable protein) with hot vegetable broth and allow to sit for five to ten minutes.
- In a separate large soup or stock pan, sautee onions, garlic and chili pepper in olive oil for three to five minutes, until onions are soft. Reduce heat and add TVP, cayenne, coriander and cumin and stir well to combine.
- Add cooked beans, tomatoes and salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a slow simmer and stir well to combine. Allow to cook for at least 45 minutes more.
Enjoy your TVP chili!
More Vegetarian and Vegan Chili Recipes:
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||8 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||5 g|
|Dietary Fiber||13 g|