This recipe is a healthy alternative to ice cream or frozen yogurts prepared with dairy products, and it's so easy to make! Prepared without any animal byproducts, this dessert recipe is great for vegans, too!
For this recipe, I prefer using agave nectar, which is a liquid syrup similar to honey but that is lower on the glycemic index. If agave nectar is not available, feel free to substitute honey, maple syrup or another liquid sweetener of your choice.
- 6 cups soy yogurt (plain, unsweetened)
- 2/3 cup agave nectar (see headnote)
- 1/4 cup cashews (finely ground)
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp. xanthan gum
1. Combine soy yogurt, agave nectar, ground cashews and vanilla extract in a blender and process until well combined. Add the xanthan gum and process for about 30 seconds to 1 minute more until smooth. Pour into a shallow metal pan and place in the freezer for 1 hour.
2. Remove the pan from the freezer and return the slightly-frozen mixture into the blender. Process until smooth, pour the mixture back into the pan, and place the pan back into the freezer for 1-hour longer.
3. After the last blending (the mixture should be blended a total of 3 times), replace the pan into the freezer for 30 minutes to 1 hour before enjoying. Store covered in an airtight container in the freezer.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||14 g|
|Saturated Fat||7 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||5 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g|