Looking for the perfect gourmet vegetarian appetizer? Try this vegetarian and vegan pate recipe made from mushrooms and walnuts for plenty of texture and flavor. Vegetarian pate is much healthier and lower in fat than the real thing. Made with mushrooms, garlic, tofu and walnuts, all of the ingredients in this simple pate substitute recipe are both vegetarian and vegan, making this an appetizer suitable for just about any diet.
Serve your vegetarian and vegan walnut pate chilled with bread or crackers. This mushroom and nut pate also makes a good sandwich spread for a vegetarian and vegan sandwich.
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 3/4 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 pound firm tofu, mashed
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1/4 tsp, salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- Sautee the mushrooms, onion and garlic in olive oil until the onions turn soft, about 5 minutes.
- Put the mushrooms mixture and tofu in a food processor or blender and puree until smooth.
- Add the walnuts, salt and pepper, and puree again until smooth.
- Chill the vegetarian pate thoroughly before serving.
- Serve your pate with bread or crackers.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||11 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||5 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|