This hearty recipe for vegetable chicken casserole cooks entirely in the microwave oven. It's a delicious make ahead, freezable recipe full of Swiss cheese, broccoli, and red peppers. Follow the directions for freezing and you'll have dinner ready in minutes.
- 8 oz. medium egg noodles
- 1 cup water
- 1-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 16 oz. pkg. frozen broccoli, cauliflower and red peppers, thawed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
1. In 3 quart microwave safe casserole dish, mix noodles, water and chicken broth. Cover with lid and microwave on high for 6 minutes, stirring once during cooking. Add vegetables, onion, chicken and seasonings. Cover and microwave on high for 7-9 minutes, stirring once during cooking, until vegetables are hot and crisp tender and noodles are tender.
2. Stir in half of cheese and mix well. Sprinkle casserole with remaining cheese.
Cook, uncovered, on high for 2-3 minutes until cheese is melted.
3. To freeze casserole, do not thaw vegetables. Cook noodles as directed above and then cool in refrigerator until cold. Add vegetables, onion, chicken, seasonings, and half of cheese; sprinkle with remaining cheese, wrap well, label, and freeze up to 3 months.
4.To thaw and reheat, thaw casserole overnight in refrigerator. Microwave on medium for 3-5 minutes, stirring once. Then microwave on high for 1-3 minutes until noodles and vegetables are tender and casserole is thoroughly heated.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||27 g|
|Saturated Fat||11 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||9 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|