|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Servings: 4 to 5|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 15g||20%|
|Saturated Fat 2g||12%|
|Total Carbohydrate 44g||16%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||9%|
|Total Sugars 4g|
|Vitamin C 42mg||211%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Vegetable fried rice is an easy dish to make, and because it's a stir-fry it's one that comes together very quickly. Fried rice is an ideal way to use up leftover rice because it works best with rice that's not as moist as freshly cooked. It also happens to be a fun way to use various veggies you might have on hand, but this version incorporates frozen corn or peas,
If you've never made cashew fried rice before, you may love it so much you never make it any other way, especially if you already enjoy sneaking cashews into dishes you make. Adding a few cashew nuts to this vegetable fried rice adds a satisfying crunch to this classic dish that's a popular Chinese takeout item, one that both adults and kids love.
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
1 medium onion, diced
1/2 cup frozen peas, or corn, thawed
1/2 pepper red bell pepper, diced
3 1/2 cups rice, cooked and cooled
2 teaspoons soy sauce, or to taste
Salt, to taste
3/4 cup cashews
1 medium green onion, finely chopped
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Gather the ingredients.
Heat oil in a preheated wok or sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add ginger, stir until fragrant.
Add onion, stir-fry for about 2 minutes, until softened.
Push the onion to the sides of the wok. Add the frozen peas or corn in the middle, and stir-fry for 1 minute.
Push to sides, add red bell pepper in the middle, and stir-fry for 1 minute.
Add rice in the middle of the pan. Stir until heated through (about 2 minutes), using a spatula to turn and move the rice around the pan. (Note: You can remove the stir-fried vegetables before adding the rice if the pan is too crowded, and then add them back before adding the seasonings.)
Stir in soy sauce and pepper.
Stir in cashews.
Stir in green onion, fry for another minute, then serve.
This recipe specifies the salt to taste because it also calls for soy sauce, which is salty. If you're using a low-sodium soy sauce, you may have a little bit more room to tweak the salt than if you're using regular soy sauce.
- Pineapples are a popular and delicious add-in for fried rice. Add 1/2 cup to 1 cup diced fresh pineapple (or canned pineapple, drained) to this dish for a dash of sweetness.
- Feel free to substitute any other color of bell pepper if you don't have red, keeping in mind that orange, yellow, and red bell peppers are sweeter than green ones.
- Use cooked brown rice if you want instead of white.
How to Store and Freeze Vegetable Fried Rice With Cashews
- Vegetable fried rice with cashews will keep for three to five days in the refrigerator in an airtight covered container. Reheat in a skillet in a little bit of oil until completely hot.
- This dish will also freeze well in an airtight container or a zip-close freezer bag with the air pressed out of it, for three to four months. You can cook it right from frozen in a hot skillet with a little bit of oil. It should cook quickly.