Soups are the fall and winter equivalent of a crisp salad. They are a great way for the kids to get their daily recommended servings of vegetables, and the varieties of vegetable soups you can make are endless. They can also be hearty enough to be a meal in and of themselves. These vegetable soup recipes include lots of options to suit kids of all ages and palates.
- Fresh tomato soup - Could there be a better partner for grilled cheese than tomato soup? Definitely not. This recipe is the ideal way to use up those fresh tomatoes from the garden.
- Broccoli cheese soup - This soup is the best way to get kids to eat broccoli. It's a thick, rich, creamy treat on a cold winter day. Serve with a crusty French bread.
- Cauliflower soup - Think cauliflower is bland? Think again. This cauliflower soup is a rich and satisfying mixture of carrots, celery, onions and cauliflower in a creamy, cheesy soup that will fill the kids up and have them begging for more!
- Creamy butternut squash soup - Granny Smith apples lend a pleasant tart flavor to this soup that balances out the sweet butternut squash beautifully. Coconut milk adds creaminess and a hint of coconut flavor. Serve this soup topped with apple chips.
- Crock pot split pea soup - Full of fiber (thanks to both the split peas and the barley), protein, and vitamins, this soup is wonderfully healthy. And it is hearty enough to be a meal all by itself.
- Carrot soup - This silky soup tastes like fall. With apples, honey, and just a touch of crushed red pepper flakes, this carrot soup has a sweet-spicy flavor that naturally appeals to everyone. Garnish with chopped scallions, apple chips, or a few drops of honey.
- Corn chowder - Bacon adds just the right note of "special" to this corn chowder. Although the recipe calls for frozen corn, feel free to use fresh corn if it's in season. Scrape the kernels off the cob by standing the ears on hand in the middle of a Bundt pan and scraping down the sides with a sharp paring knife.
- Potato soup - If you are a fan of stuffed baked potatoes, chances are, you will like this soup. It has all the same ingredients -- potatoes, cheese, bacon, and scallions -- but in a hearty, soothing soup. Serve with a green salad.